Structural Analysis

House construction - costs for the structural analysis?

The costs for the structural analysis of a single-family house are determined by the B&W engineering company in accordance with the requirements of the German Fee Structure for Architects and Engineers (HOAI) as well as the German Construction Tendering and Contract Regulations (VOB). The price can be read from the so-called “Fee Table”, whose input values ​​are the chargeable costs and the fee zone:

The chargeable costs of the relevant scope of work, here the structural planning and design is applicable, are generally calculated at 55% of the cost of the construction works and 10% of the cost of the technical installations. These costs can only be calculated 100%, if all six service phases are performed by the structural engineer. The service phases are divided into basic analysis, preliminary planning, design planning, approval planning, execution planning and preparation for the award. A more precise definition of the individual phases can be found in Annex 13 of the HOAI.

The fee zones I (low complexity) to V (very high complexity) reflect the degree of difficulty of your desired construction. It is a result of whether your planned house is a building with no particular refinements, or whether you want to realize, for example, balconies with large overhang, a wall-free and column-free ground plan, or large windows without additional girders and perhaps even with the aid of prestressed concrete components.

If, for example, chargeable costs are 75,000 Euros with a difficulty level of the fee zone II (low complexity), the costs for the structural design amount to approximately 7,500 Euros. In principle, the costs for simpler calculations, such as a wall break-through, start at 1,500 Euros.

Our engineering office is equipped with state-of-the-art computers and programs, with which we also can solve the calculations of extreme structural structures from an engineering perspective.

Which services are covered by the structural analysis of a house?

You will receive a structural analysis which ensures the load bearing capacity and usability of the entire structure and of all the components installed in your house. What does this mean exactly?

Our proofs in the ultimate limit state of strength guarantee the stability of your house according to the current “partial safety factor concept” (comparison of the 95% exceedance probability on the loading side with the 5% fractile of failure cases on the resistance side of the material). A collapse is almost impossible. This level of safety meets the stringent requirements of the current international standardization and can be classified as even more secure than the calculation according to the so-called “global safety concept” which was valid up to a few years ago.

The proofs in the limit state of serviceability ensure that no critical deformation of the components occurs and that the crack widths in the concrete are reduced to a minimum. At this point it is important to note that an economic design of a reinforced concrete component will always lead to cracking, since this is the prerequisite that the steel in the concrete starts to bear at all. What we can influence as a professional engineering office, however, is the crack width. As a rule, this is limited to 0.2 mm in width, so that aesthetics will not suffer.


We carry these two types of proofs for the roof truss, ceilings, walls, columns and supports and other load-bearing elements.


In addition, we also guarantee the adequate stiffening of the house as a whole by consolidating and checking the stiffness of all the above-mentioned individual components into an overall structure.

We also provide you with a reinforcement plan for all components made of reinforced concrete (ceilings, columns, supports and possibly concrete walls) which specifies the quantity and position of the reinforcing bars and reinforcing mats for the manufacturing company.

If necessary , we can also provide you with an energy certificate in accordance with EnEV 2009 and EnEV 2013/14.

On which standardisation is our structural analysis based?

The basis of our calculations is the current Eurocode Series (for house constructions usually EC 0 to EC6) including all required national annexes. You will therefore receive a state-of-the-art statics that will prepare you for the future.

What competencies do the B&W engineers have?

Mr. Wittmann gave lectures at the chair for concrete construction at the Technical University of Munich, Germany, on this subject for two years, as well as lectures for postgraduate students in the field of bridge construction and prestressed concrete construction. He is, therefore, very familiar with current standards and has outstanding competences in the area of ​​solid construction and has even been involved in expert committees on standards-accompanying literature (German Committee on Reinforced Concrete). Our partner, Werner Steininger, has more than 40 years of professional experience and has calculated and realized countless projects.